Saturday, January 05, 2013

Boogieing along with Lou Reed; after an audience with The Globe’s.

Colour; yes, just a few shades. - as it can be in Harris

Now the record-player is working, the extensive collection of [old] discs are getting  spin - Lou Reed at the moment due in part because I'm in a good mood. and due in another part because it came to hand first. [excuse me while I de-fluff the needle]. Bother, now the speaker plugs are playing up. Ah well, I like quiet anyway.

We were down in Harris today South Harris that is - not that you could see it much as the clouds were low and wet. But the roads are a give-away with 25mph being about the max you can drive down there on account of the bends. That's the Golden Road for you. A one point I actually attempted a snap - from the car with the Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 with my new card mask inside to bring it back down to 6x4.5 ish. [I wasn't driving at the time in case the plod are reading this] I tried but was beaten  back by the lashing rain drenching me before I could but snatch a quick-one through the open car window. My best laid plans to finish the Ilford FP4  film in the Baby Graflex came to nothing too as the day got darker rather than lighter - and wetter rather than drier. You get the idea. I think I must have felt a little grumpiness coming over me if I was honest. I know it's not like me but I was getting a tad up-fed. 

Then we arrived at The Mission House Studio in lovely Finsbay. The place is always a wonderful place to be  at any time whether it's to browse the wabi-sabi loveleeness of Nickolai's cooked clay, the imagery emanating from Beka's photographic artistry or wallow in the vibe-rary of the musical interludes held in the Studio from time to time. Where else can you listen to Beethoven Quartets in such a venue? Eh!

Mrs Globe - for that who is Beka - was about to celebrate the anniversary of her birth and we had been invited to attend the occasion. Only Nickolai had told me in Harris time [ie; within several hours of the time stated] not mainland time [within 15 min of stated time] and although I have been here all of six years I assumed the latter not the former. As a result we were 2 hours early! 

Of course we were heartily welcomed with hugs and everything. That's how nice they are! Tea was drunk, choccies consumed and chats exchanged and I sat in wonder of these two lovelees and their sweet childlings. Had a really wonderful time and although we left before the hoards arrived later - since I had to 'work', we, Eve and I, came home all happy, all creatived -up and I, suitably un-grumpied. It was a great day.

Happy Birthday Beka. May it be a great day.

Ps, the snap may be old but is was made on film!




No comments: