Monday, January 07, 2013

Coffee table without legs. But with pages.


I like photographic books. There I've said it. No doubt I should go to PBA or something to take the 12-step  recovery from acquiring them. There's a load of them at the top of our stairs lurking over to the top of he less than efficient Kiev camera I mentioned before. And more piled by the bed so I can peruse them before sleeping and, on occasions on waking too. Why not? eh?

The current read is a fine tale written by one Charles Duncan- Photographic Pilgrams Progress. I like it. Written some time at the start of the last century and daft enough for me to understand it. Usually, my fare is imagry - Ragnar Axelsson's Last days of the Arctic - in German. The photos are in Greenlandic but I can understand them - and marvel at them. Go. Go now and have a click on the link - there's a vid there too. I think I can safely say this man's fine work stands up there with the work of James Ravilious for me. Yes, go on then, have a look there too. but come back please. I have more to say.

But the piece de resistance is the Magnum contact sheet book. It's huge. And heavy. So heavy that it really requires its own legs. Great book though - if you can hold it for long. I wouldn't usually purchase such a tome but I apparently got an award for being top 'wrestler of miscreants to the ground' operative of the quarter or some such nonsense. Still, work gave me a voucher and I bought this book/table. I still don't make contact sheets though! Where would I sit with them on the settee too?


Snap; Eve at the end of Traigh Mhor - Tolsta. I sit in our little house writing this - on the lump of land at the back!


No comments: