Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A 'new' consumer outlet


As you might have heard, a new supermarket has opened in Stornoway today. Actually, its not new, merely changed hands and opened as Tescos. I'm not too keen. Yes they have up-graded the premises and yes the place was thronging today but I'm not sure its going to help small local shops on the island.
My take on things is that we all consume far too much, waste too much and generally help destroy the planet where we live. Selling things cheaply neither helps this or probably the producers of such goods either.
On a similar note, the price of road fuel having risen considerably is no bad thing either in my opinion as now most of us have to think twice before we jump in the car and drive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We probably do consume too much. Though the "elephant in the corner" is over-population, not over-comsumption. Heading towards seven billion people on this rock, each with minimum needs, and it ain't good.

I like your ghostly shopper effect.

Barry said...

I agree with you. And with Silversprite as well.

Guess I'm just in an agreeable mood today.