Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bin Tinned


Had such a wonderful weekend. Met the LCC [continuing] group and The great Collodionist [A Collodionist, I might add is much like an accordionist only creates less noise and more smell :-) ] C. Radford Esq whose fine imagery can be seen here. The Wet-Plate-Collodion process is old and brings the Western Isles forward kicking and complaining into the 19 century.
Once I had recovered from the ether and other sensory altering chemicals, Mr Radford presented me with this image - which I am told is of myself. On tin. Eh? The magnificent Mr Radford also snapped my dear Eve with his 8x10 inch camera and we're looking forward to that too - only Eve was on glass. Don't ask me why since I still have not worked it all out.
The thing is, the image above is nothing like the real thing - really. It has such depth in the image, such honesty and feeling that seems to be missing on a silver halide image or, digital. Particularly digital.
After some cogitating and ruminating on imagery and whatnot - mainly whatnot if my memory serves me correctly plus tea and cakes - courtesy of the wonderful Ian, Colin & Barbara, Eve & I left with much to think about photography-wise and much to look back on with a day well spent.

2 comments:

Margriet Schoenmakers said...

Amazing picture. Can't get my head around how this process works. Tin? Like in a tin can?
BTW: How do you get this kind of images digital? just scanning on a flatbed scanner?

Anonymous said...

Really lovely.