Friday, September 20, 2013

Hats, masks, ether and silver

It's Friday. The bolt stayed put and I got in there - so to speak. [btw; if you are coming to this late you may not know what I'm talking about - join the club].

I'm going out on a limb here - my limb so it's ok, you needn't get worried.

I have been going down an alley that was presenting it'self to me and I want you to join me in the journey if you will. Just press your cheek against the screen for a few moments so I can authenticate you and then we will begin.

I mentioned the work of Katie Cooke the other day and if, just if you followed some links in the script you may have noticed that Katie has also become a Wet-Plate Collodianist. It's an old process of making images that produces one-off physical plates - usually on tin using smelly chemicals, black cloths and skill. In the main. I could try and explain it all, I have seen it done a few times, smelt the ether, peered into the darkness and nearly passed out in the Coelynes kitchen as Carl Radford did his stuff. But I won't. You can read about it elsewhere. Needless to say it takes skill.

I recently enjoyed a morning with David Gillanders and his cycling-mad kids on the island doing some plates. And then there's Mr Alex Boyd - him of the hat and the funny camera thing with a cloth over his head [hereby officially known as HotHatFCTwaCoHH for short].

There's plenty of wonderful artists who dabble in this dark art - as one can see here - with a variety of styles.


Explore; it's a big, wonderful world out there! And you could do little better than look here.




1 comment:

Graham Edwards said...

Hope you benefitted from your bolt staying bolted this week. As for experimenting (or was it exploring?) I did that (or that) once four decades ago and look where it got me. Never again.