Sunday, October 13, 2013

Profound apologies



I have to apologise for yesterdays outburst - for all the good it did anyway! The sun was out and I'd been stood in it for too long in Ness having a really interesting conversation with this lovely fella me-lad of a granpa with his sweet twin granddaughters. Obviously it had got to me - the sun that is. We are not used to up here you know. The chap was really good to talk to - had to tear myself away from telling him how this consumer-capitalist society we have  is incompatible with the closed biosphere we 'live' in and are quickly destroying. And how the gross inequalities in the UK are not good for us and how those countries where they have smaller inequalities in society have better health, crime figures etc. And how.... . Well you get the idea. He was gong to agree with me - eventually. But we just hadn't got to that point yet and the cafe was calling.  I wonder if he could adopt me since I'd enjoy another conversation with that 'lad'.

So that was why I was so out of sorts. You can see that from the suitably deteriorating snap of me - the current parlance being a 'selfie' - although I do hate that term. I prefer Self-Landscape. It's from a while back but discovered it yesterday while sorting a space for The Wardrobe.

Urban cyclists have a way of annoying me too - calling their lovely fixed wheel bicycles 'fixies'. Eh? What's that all about then? BTW; That author fella Kevin McNeil who wrote The Stornoway Way rides a fixed wheel bike :-). Can't be all bad can it?


3 comments:

Graham Edwards said...

One of my son's bikes (he's a bit of a fanatic) is a fixie you can lift with your little finger (well I can and you are younger and fitter than I). Presumably his mountain bike with HUGE wheels is called a mountie or perhaps a wheelie. Qui sait? Qui s'inquiète?

As for wealth inequality I found this rather alarming.


Andrea Ingram said...

Yep, that vid puts the American case quite nicely. UK not that far behind sadly

Jayview said...

Just found your blog and see some similar passions - photography, fate of our planet, social determinants of health (are you on the SDOH email list?). Have been watching wonderful YouTube talks by Sir Michael Marmot - one set to the AMA here in Australia. Jean