Monday, April 21, 2014

Double handed voyage across Loch Gormag Mor - including a little swimlette.

Oh no, I got wet. Fell backwards into a lochen. And gosh was it cold. Fair took the wind out my sails I can tell you.

We, Eve and I were trying out the wee inflatable tender boat thing prior to putting the bigger boatee in the harbour thing. Thought we better get used to paddling since the mechanical paddling device is yet to appear back from Angus the Outboard.

A rather water-damaged snap of Eve, the motorised carriage and the wee boatee - prior to my swimming incident.

I mean, the sun was shining, we'd spent all morning up to our armpits in soap suds washing the big boatee, airing the blanket things you hang on the big pole in the middle of the boatee and what have you. So I suggested we go up to a lochen on the way out to our peats. Twas Loch Gormag Mor apparently - all water and no people to gawp at us. Only, after putting the thing in the water, Eve climbed on board in her dainty way while I pushed the thing away from the shallow water - then 'leapt' in - actually, when I say 'leapt in' I really mean struggled in but it doesn't sound quite so proficient -especially when you then proceed to topple everso slowly but definitely backwards into the cold peaty water.

I laughed. An everso strained laugh but I definitely laughed an then got in again, boots filled to the brim with water and then proceeded at a leisurely paddling pace northish until the breeze blew us westish after about 3 yards until we grounded - again. I leapt out and pulled the tender thing to the side. We came home soon after where I dried out then went to bed for a little while to recover my senses.

As it happens, this camera - the Olympus XA2 - was in my pocket when I 'swam' so the snaps are not what they could have been. Sorry and all that.

2 comments:

John said...

I appreciate the fact that you prefer sloshing film around, but this dip and dunk technique you have just outlined using Loch Gormag Mor developer is taking things too far...

GB said...

A dip in a Lewis lochan in April. Hmmm. That's a bit overenthusiastic in my book.